Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A TARDIS Valentine...

My younger boys and I love watching Doctor Who.  If you don't know what or who that is, you have to start watching BBC America!  You are completely missing out!  Word of warning, don't watching anything dealing the Weeping Angels by yourself or in the dark.  Just saying.
 
Anyway, my youngest is in fifth grade and wanted to have an "epic Valentine box, Mom!"  So, on to the calendar it went and the search for parts began.  Of course, life happened during all of this and it got put on the back burner.  As usual, and as many parents will agree, the night before it's due is ALWAYS a good time.  Especially if you are on your way home from work.  I mean, why not?
 
I lucked out and discovered TARDIS Blue foam core board at Wal-Mart!  Duct tape, some foam tape, a 6x6 wooden canvas form to provide stability at the base.  OOH!  Lookie!  A dark blue paint marker!  Yahooey!  Yes, this was the dialog going through my head.
 
I get home around 8:30pm and start immediately.  After shrinking clip art found on Pinterest (thank you, fellow Whovians who posted diagrams and clip art!) down to a more appropriate size and miraculously NOT cutting myself, I ended up with THIS:
 
 
I did cut a little flap in the back to use as a "mail slot" and the top if hinged with duct tape and a smaller piece of foam core board that just fits inside to provide more stability.  It IS going to school with a fifth grader...
 
As for his Valentines, he wanted something unique.  So, off to Pinterest I went.  Can I just say, WOW!  The amount of amazing and unique Valentine ideas is astounding!  We decided on this.  With my son's desire to continue the Doctor Who theme, we changed it a bit with color and here is what we ended with:
 
 
 
He loved the blue rulers!  Since there aren't many girls in his class he chose to give them a special color, though.  They get red!  I used a utility knife to cut a slit in the card stock a little wider than the ruler so it slid in easily.  I then wrote the "To" and "From" on the back tabs that rest on the underside of the ruler.
 
Hopefully, these go over well.

No comments: