Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Stitch Markers


These are knitting stitch markers that I have made purely because I hate those little wafer ones you buy in the stores. You can't see them very well if you are working with a bulky yarn, they slip from your fingers so easily, and if you drop one you might as well count it as GONE. So, since I have a ton of beads and findings and wire, I set to making stitch markers.

The top is Rose Quartz with silver-toned findings. It is a set of six and quite heavy. The quartz actually came from a few bracelets that I found on clearance at WalMart. I didn't like the bracelets but loved the quartz so I took them apart and have been waiting for the beads to talk to me and tell me what they wanted to be.

The second is purple glass and is a set of 12. These beads I bought outright because they reminded me of a set of dishes my mom use to have from Viking Glass (that I broke in its entirety when I was young and emptying the dishwasher...I learned not to try and lift an entire stack of plates after that). Again, the beads are paired with silver-toned findings.

I have a few other sets. One in black and white glass, another in autumn-colored "wedding cake" glass beads. I just remembered I hadn't photographed them as I typed. They are in my knitting tote bag and I forgot about them. Maybe later. All my markers are sized on US 15/10mm needles and are real easy to make. As long as I know what beads I am using, it only takes me about 5 minutes per marker since I use wire, not pins, and have to twist them into shape. I am thinking of selling them at the craft show I will be going to with my mom and aunt in November.

No comments: