Pages

Friday, May 18, 2007

Medication overload...

*Because I am having so many problems with this medicine, and I have read enough to know that I am not alone, I think it is fair to name the med - TOPAMAX. It is an anti-seizure medication that has been shown to prevent migraine.

I am in my third week of migraine medication and taking 3 pills a day. Last week I was taking two pills a day and noticing some difficult remembering things, struggling to talk, lack of coordination in my motor movements. This week, I feel like I have been hit with a truck. I can't remember things my sons have told me ten minutes previous, I write things down or type them (even now) and the don't look right. I can't remember how to spell simple words. I am so tired all the time. I can't even focus long enough to clean the house. NOT GOOD.

So, I am calling the doctor. I talked with my husband about this. We agreed that the medicine IS working but my system just can't handle this amount. I take a CHILDREN'S CHEWABLE VITAMIN for crying out loud! My system can't handle a lot of things that many adult systems can.

Week 1 - I had NO problems. I think that 1 pill a day is the largest dose I feel I can take right now. We will see what happens after I talk with my physician.

2 comments:

Dana said...

If I was your mother, I would ORDER you off that crap immediately! But since I'm not...*sigh*, I'll take for worrying about you and the damage you are doing to your system. Topamax is for seisures (which you obviously know) and bi-polar disorder, and cluster headaches too, but as you are experiencing, it has some incredibly lousy side-affects.
Go here and read what some user have to say:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/WeightLoss/messages/304.html

I'm sending healing, healthy vibes your way!I sure hope lowering your does will help out, but still control your migraine.

Sharon in NE said...

I had a difficult beginning with Topamax too. Once I got use to it (probably 4 - 6 weeks) things evened out and I was glad I stuck it out. I have NO side effects any longer, well, I have experienced the weight loss, but that's because you don't eat out of nervousness. You have a normal healthy appetite but not an insatiable one. I'm thankful for Topamax and Imitrex as I went 30 years without them. As I was saying, I have had no side effects....oh...did I say that already? um...I can't remember...jk ; )