Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Doctor's Appointment

Well...I went to the doctor, yesterday. I should have had this done years ago, but I was avoiding it. For the last 18 years I have been living with severe migraines and just worked my way through them. Sounds horrible, huh? Not when you realize that my younger brother gets cluster headaches, which are about ten times worse than migraines. So, I didn't feel it was necessary to go to the doctor for a little problem like migraines. Until recently, I could handle it. Lately they have been so bad. Finally, I couldn't handle it anymore.

I am on two different medications, now. I hate that! I don't really like taking over-the-counter stuff to begin with, and now I have PRESCRIPTIONS! Anyway, one I have to take all the time to prevent the migraine and the other I take in case I still get one. The second one, I was told, should take care of the pain in two hours. I can only hope that it all works. I can't live like this anymore. I want to have my life back. I am tired of worrying about what air environment I am walking into; what foods I may accidentally eat; what noise or light may trigger the start of my migraine. I want to live my life. I want to play with my kids and watch my oldest two finish high school, graduate, and start college. I want to be normal. Please.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Migraine is awful. Have you discussed with your doctor about doing an elimination diet to see what really IS triggeing them. Being on those meds makes me nervous and scared for you.

A fried of mine basically eliminated everything she ate for two weeks, and then, slowly, one by one, added things back into her diet to see what triggered them. She discovered things like bananas, blueberries, yougurt, and (of course) hard cheeses were her triggers. Now she just avoids them and she hasn't had one in a LONG time.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I found your blog through Dana's blog. :-)

I, too, am a migraine sufferer. I've been enduring them for 10 years. I sincerely hope that the meds work for you. My neurologist tried me on so many prevention meds, and none of them worked and all had bad side effects. The worst was a drug called Topomax, which literally made me paranoid. Please take note of any unusual behaviors. I ignored my symptoms until I reached the point that I thought everyone was talking about me wherever I went. Hopefully, you won't experience anything that awful, but I'm throwing that out there just in case.

I finally did an elimination diet. That has mostly worked for me, but I still can't control outside factors such as temperature, lighting, barometric pressure. It's such a fine line we migraineurs walk.

I hope these meds give you the relief you need. I totally know what you mean about needing your life back.