Pages

Monday, November 17, 2008

GUESS WHAT I CAN DO!!!!!

I can knit!! I am thirty years old and I can finally knit!!

Mom has been with me today and she has been knitting. Years ago, like when I was TEN, she tried to teach me how to knit. It didn't work so well. I am left handed with ambidextrous tendencies and the two sides of my brain were unable to work together in harmony so I could basically tie pretty knots in yarn. She struggled, she pleaded, she cried, I cried. She called her grandmother - we lived in Louisiana, she was in Clarksburg, WV. Nothing worked. We quit worrying about it.

Today, however, SUCCESS! I can knit! Literally, just knit. Do NOT ask me to pearl. That is something that may have to wait a few more years. I am just happy I can KNIT! YAY, ME!

(Mom has created a group at her churches that will work to knit or crochet shawls or lap robes for the Prayer Shawl Ministry. An instructional book with patterns and group formation ideas can be found in the Wal-Mart yarn aisle. If your Wal-Mart has done the unthinkable and removed their craft section, just follow the link to their website.)

2 comments:

Martha said...

I am so proud of you ... and it is something I don't do. I can crochet but never enjoyed knitting. Go figure.

Gayle said...

I'm proud of you, precisely because I am left-handed and have ambidextrous tendencies. I never realized that is why I've never learned to knit though. I have been crocheting since I was a small child. Knitting has always befuddled me!