Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

Taking pictures again...



Calendula (calendula arvensis - field marigold) and Baby's Breath (gypsophila elegans). I am trying to learn the latin names for the plants and flowers in my daily life, so work with me. The Calendula is unedited except for my watermark. The Baby's Breath is unedited except for cropping and my watermark.

These are growing in my MIL's backyard. We were there Saturday for my BIL's birthday party and I was bored, so I took pictures. Since I don't drink alcohol and don't smoke cigarettes (Myself and my two youngest sons are allergic to cigarette smoke and prolonged exposure will trigger our migraines), I couldn't sit on the back porch and relax. Something I really wanted to do on my 11th Wedding Anniversary. Taking pictures kept me from mouthing off at my BIL/SIL about their treatment of my MIL. Sometimes I really hate my Etiquette Button. It kicks on at the most inopportune times. *sigh* Yes, Grandma M., I played nice.

Anyway, I am going to put these two photos in the Fair Photography Contest this year. I think. Still not sure. All I DO know is that I have to get Little Pirate to take some pictures. Since he has discovered this extreme fascination with rocks (he's found some real nice ones, too!) maybe him taking some macro shots of them could be an idea. Of course, it will be done on a tripod so that my camera lens doesn't somehow end up in the middle of a rock pile! Lol!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Jen, these are gorgeous...the softness and brilliant color...nice.

I've begun a photo sharing blog where friends can member-up together and share posts according to a theme. If you'd like to join, we'd love to see your photos there :)

You can take a peek at photosharingworld.blogspot.com or click Soaring Through The World in Pictures

:)

Jen said...

Heather, I will give this some thought. It sounds like a wonderful idea to create such an eclectic mix of friends.

Dana said...

Lovely photos Jenny, and I'm psyched that you are learning the proper names of your surroundings!
It's addictive, and you'll find yourself forgetting the common names of things soon enough.
Just the other day someone asked me what "this tree" was, and all I could tell them was Liquidambar styraciflua. TOTAL mind blank on what the common name was! Had to look it up when I got home (American Sweetgum). Frustrating to the person who asked AND to myself when my mind blanks like that. BUT, extremely helpful when travelling in other parts of the country or even the world. Scientific nomenclature is standard everywhere, common names, not so much...