Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Migraines & Marines

My migraines have been kicking at me for the last week. I actually had to fill my prescription for my Maxalt. The pharmacy could only give me a partial fill because they ran out of the pills I take. When I went in on Monday to get the rest, they had a call in to the doctor's office to see if they could give me the quick-dissolve strips due to the wait-list for Maxalt tablets. They had placed the call in the morning and I was there at 3 p.m. They were still waiting.

So, what does any self-respecting person do when faced with a frazzled pharmacist who is getting more frazzled by the minute due to the number of prescriptions to fill and this ONE prescription is not getting anywhere? I pull out my cell phone and call my doctor's office! I tell them what is going on and they tell me that my file is on the doctor's desk and that he will get to it when he can...click. Oh - bad idea. My mom, who is with me because we had been to that same doctor's office to pick up x-rays of her knees, takes my phone and calls back. She asks for a certain medical tech that works there and is transferred. After explaining the issue she hands me the phone and says, "Give the phone to the pharmacist." Yes, ma'am! Two minutes later my prescription is on it's way to being filled! Thank you, Uncle John!!!I have no idea how the strips will effect me but I do know that some people have said they leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I did experience a sad thing the other day. Well, sad to me. My younger brother would probably do a happy dance since he had been trying to get me to quit drinking pop for years! My pop separated!!! Ewokgirl said that she experienced this when she was on certain meds for migraines. The syrup and carbonated water seem to separate in the mouth and you can taste them individually. Ewwwww!

A good friend of our sons', and a young man we consider one of our own, has made a decision that has been in his heart for over two years. On Monday, August 20, he leaves for Parris Island to begin Boot Camp for the United States Marine Corps. His MOS will be Computer Avionics (Radar). He will be back just in time for Christmas. The kicker of it? His girlfriend is leaving in September for the Airforce!!! Semper Fi!!!

Ewokgirl asked about me being able to get samples of my medication. Yes, I have gotten samples from my doctor but with my migraines coming more often and with more intensity, he felt it was safer for me to have a prescription on hand, should I need it. Good thing he did because I had no more samples left when my migraine hit the Friday I tried to fill my prescription. At least I was able to get a partial fill that day and the rest on Monday. It all worked out in the wash.

3 comments:

Dana said...

So sorry you are having trouble with meds and Migraine. YUCK!
Have you tried taking powdered magnesium? It used to help me a lot whenever I got Migraine. That and feverfew tea did the trick.

Keep us updated, I was getting worried that you weren't posting!

Martha said...

I missed your posting, too. I know we email each other but I love your pics and posts. Feel better, please.

Jen, I just realized I put the wrong aperture value in my comment on night pictures. Should have been 2.8 - not 8.0. That is the range of my camera and it works okay for what I am doing right now.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Sorry to hear about the soft-drink separation. It's a really weird sensation, isn't it? Has your sense of smell heightened? I could smell EVERYTHING on Topomax, even things we don't normally attribute to having an odor.

Does your doctor's office have samples? When I've been unable to get much-needed pain meds at the pharmacy (either due to their being temporarily out or to having used up my monthly prescription allotment per insurance), I just call my neurologist's office to beg for samples. They always have some and set them aside for me to pick up.