Pages

Friday, September 7, 2007

Speech Evaluation

The meeting with Little Pirate's speech teacher was this morning. She giggled A LOT! She said she thoroughly enjoyed working with him! Most of his vocabulary skills and item recognition are 1-2 years ahead of his age, which is great. He has NO - and I mean NO - problems with conversation skills. This child can talk! It's his blending and some of his verb usage that needs work. She is hoping that with 30 minutes a week, broken up into ten minutes a day with a day off, we should should have him sorted out by the end of kindergarten at the latest.

*giggle* She told me how Little Pirate had to identify pictures. One was of a scholar but he recognized it as a graduate, which lead to a conversation about Isaac (his oldest brother) who just graduated from high school in May, which lead to a conversation about college. Okay. She let him have that one. He has good reasoning skills, she told me. She loves his thought patterns. He absorbs it, processes it, changes it so he can understand it, and then moves on to the next. It's like - Okay, I'm done! NEXT!

The book the picture of the scholar was in is the type that you look through it, get to the end, flip it upside down and go through it the other way. It's a regular paper book (as apposed to a board book) that's about an inch thick. She told me that until Little Pirate, she has never had a kindergartener go through the whole thing! It was like he couldn't get enough of it! She loved it!

I am relieved that he is going to get some help. I was at the end of my rope. I wanted to help him so much but nothing I did worked. I know it's not my fault. Every child is different. I just want him to be able to talk with his friends as he gets older without the fear of getting picked on because of his speech. Kids can be vicious sometimes. Little Pirate is a smart little scrapper and he processes things so fast. He just can't shape his mouth right sometimes. Mrs. E. is going to be a great help to him.

2 comments:

Mary Maruscak said...

Great post-thanks for sharing. My boyfriend's 5-year-old has some similar problems, along with issues with baby-talk. I'm hoping that being in kindergarten and getting more help than we're able to give her will help, as well as being in a multi-age classroom. Good luck with everything and know you're not alone!!

Martha said...

I remember speech therapy, too. I stuttered when I was in grade school. I think I had the sessions in the second grade and I only remember 2 or 3 sessions. No problem since that I am aware of - are you?
Love to you all.