Pages

Monday, October 1, 2007

Migraines & Mom

Okay, so Mom had her surgery on her left knee. She is now in a rehab center for a few weeks and is doing very well. Besides her knee healing, she has also lost weight! YAY! This is what we have been waiting for. It is difficult to exercise if you can't walk - now she is starting to lose weight that she has been trying to get off for years.

I am going to the doctor today. I actually have to leave in a few minutes. I just needed to get this out of my system first. My migraine medication, the preventative - Topomax, is causing me so many problems. The good things no longer outweigh the bad. I can't continue with it. My memory STINKS! I am unable to remember things the kids have told me. I don't remember conversations. I can't concentrate on anything - I haven't made any jewelry in so long! I am unable to focus on simple tasks, like cleaning the house. Ugh! It's a monumental feat to get things done. I lost the van in the store parking lot the other day. This wasn't just forgetting the exact location but knowing the general direction to go - I LOST THE VAN! Luckily, my 18-year-old was with me and I just followed him, after I told him I did not remember where the van was.

My system reacts to medication in such an odd fashion. I could only take 1/4 of the dose of Topomax my doctor wanted me to take. I don't like the way I am right now. I don't like forgetting things. I am afraid that one day I will forget to go get the kids or even forget that I have kids.

Am I scared? Yeah. Do I think that another medication is the answer? . . . I don't know. I just want to be me again.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Aww Jen...I can really feel your frustration with this medicine. I hope you can work something out with the doc and be back to yourself again. How scary to not be able to remember things.

On a happier note, I'm glad to hear that mom is doing better! And loosing weight too! What a plus! (although I'm wondering how she's doing it on the food they must be feeding her...YUCK!)

I've missed your posting and was wondering about you guys. Hope you can get back to your creative endeavors soon.