Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

OOT Post

I am currently on a mini-vacation with my hubby. He has a convention he has to attend for work and they encourage the spouses to tag along. We have been coming to these for 6 years and I love them. Not only do I get to explore my home state but DH and I also use this time as an extended Honeymoon. We didn't have a traditional honeymoon, as he had to work a few days after the wedding and I became an instant mom to two wonderful boys that quickly learned how to push every single INVISIBLE button I didn't know I had! Lol!

So, the trip to the convention was wonderful. Although we got a late start, we enjoyed the drive quite well. I will post pictures when I return and hopefully you will be just as awed as I am to live in such a beautiful place. It isn't any wonder why it is called, "Almost Heaven..."

A rare adventure did occur for us this evening. Around 5:30, just before DH and I were to get ready for dinner and the convention Meet-and-Greet, the filament line (fishing line...) running under the left lens of my glasses SNAPPED! I am over 4 HOURS away from my eye doctor! In the geographical CENTER of this state and my glasses just broke! I am LEGALLY BLIND without them!!! Small freak out moment, then common sense kicks in! I head to the hotel gift shop to talk with the proprietor (people are STILL better than computers in emergencies!). YES! There is a Wal-Mart Vision Center 40 minutes away - not a big deal to people who drive 45 minutes just to get to a Michael's Craft Store and a Books-A-Million! (Sorry about the big, bad store, Dana but I was desperate!!!)

DH and I get ready for dinner like we planned, I just did it blind and working with a 300+ degree flat iron, to boot. Into the van and away we go. We drove over Powell Mountain and, although it was a great big blur, it was so beautiful! The greens of spring were everywhere! And we came across the greatest village name: Muddlety! I love it! Muddlety, Muddlety, Muddlety...it's just fun to say!

We finally reach our destination and wait patiently for the repair work to be completed. Dh told me that he watched her work through the glass and she was really putting muscle into pulling that filament through my frames! Oh, I hope this lasts for a while! Afterward, I suffered the normal bouncy/shakey feeling after not wearing glasses for an extended length of time. It wore off before we got to Applebee's (loved it!). A great storm rolled in while we were eating and continued on our drive back to the hotel. Due to the rain, it took longer to get back but that was okay. The Meet-and-greet was still going on and the gentlemen thought it was cute that DH had to run me all over the mountains to get them fixed.

On high note! As we were leaving the restaurant, I received a call from my 18 y/o. Several months back a dear friend of the family (and substitute music/band teacher that taught me AND my older two sons) suffered a severe stroke that left a once-vibrant man a shadow of himself. Well, my son called me this evening to tell me he saw Mr. P today! He is walking almost perfectly! He is eating without trouble! He looks FABULOUS! He said Mr. P told him his next job is getting his speech back to normal. Oh, thank you, God, for such wonderful work! This man is a blessing to so many! So, I told my son to call Grandpap, as they were great friends and it broke Pap's heart to hear what happened to Mr. P but this will give him such joy. So, Mom, smile. He's going to be okay!

No comments: