Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

Blazing Star

Thanks to my SIL, Dana, I have found out what that purple spikey flower is that my youngest took photos of at my Grandmother's.

Liatris. Also known as Blazing-star, Gay-feather, or Button snakeroot.

After reading Dana's warning about Lythrum salicaria (purple loosestrife), I started looking. One site that talked about invasive plants recommended replacing it with something called Blazing star. So, I went looking for that.

BINGO! That is exactly what is in my Grandma's front garden! I didn't think it was the Lythrum salicaria since it had not overrun the entire planting area (she still has loads of daisies and lilies that pop up and her tulips are as beautiful and strong as ever) but since I am not well-versed in plant life as Dana, I wasn't going to ignore it. Plus, Dana is just a fount of information anyway. I learn alot from her.

So, I know that my updates have been scattered, eratic, and random at best. I have been working through my yarn collection trying to get all the pieces I bought certain yarn and thread for completed. I recently completed another baby blanket out of bulky yarn (like the type Moo made our afghans out of, Dana) that was pink and white variegated. I am going to be making a christening outfit with some thread soon. Following that, I have some bamboo crochet thread I have been saving for a special project. Mom purchased a pattern book of purses and bags months ago. In it is a pattern for a reticule (a small, delicate lace purse) with a satin liner of any choice of color. I finally have all the things needed. Hopefully, I won't mangle the pattern too much.

I plan on making more cup cozies and coasters. Market bags and baby blankets are on my list, too. All out of worsted weight cotton or other organic material. My hands just can't deal with the acrylic. Maybe I can get away with Cotton-ease but I am not sure. For now, I will stick with my cotton cones.



2 comments:

Dana said...

Lovely photo...and it's even more so because it's NOT purple Loosestrife. YAY! So when can we see the baby blanket? You can't tease us and then not show it! Not fair.
I've been working on a felted project...a small one for my first attempt. When it's done I'll post it.

Jen said...

It's a great photo, isn't it? Mr. Pirate took that! It actually got a blue ribbon in the Fair! Found out a few hours ago. I'll post the list and photos later.

Anyway, I just finished the blanket late Saturday and haven't taken a photo of it, as yet. I will hopefully get that done this week.