Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

Deep breath

For the last two years I have entered pictures into our County Fair Photography Contest. Last year, my two youngest sons entered, as well. This year, the two of them are entering three each. I love them! Mr. Rebel is entering his photograph of the bridge, one of Sammy (Pap's dog) that he took several days before Sam died, and a macro shot of his Lego Locomotive. Mr. Pirate is entering a shot of a purple spike flower (have no idea what it is but I will find out), one of a trio of yellow pom flowers, and one from him running with the camera. All very cool photographs! I will post them later.

As for me...

Not a single thing!

Yippeeee! Yay! Whaaahooooo!

Lol! That's right, I am not putting single thing in the Fair this year. Maybe next year. Maybe not. I decided that the photographs I have taken the last year are for me this time. I framed my Baby's Breath photo I posted a few weeks ago. It is an 11x14 matted and framed in a 16x20 frame. I wired and hung it this evening. It is on the wall across from my couch, where I usually sit to knit and crochet, so that I can see it. It's a magical photo. A glimpse of peace God has allowed me to make mine.

I told my DH that I feel great about my decision not to put anything in the Fair. Real great. Calm and relaxed. No pressure. With all the stress that we have gone through in the last two months or so, I just needed a break. This year, for my own little family, the fair will be about our boys. On the extended side, my mom and two aunts are entering photos, as well as my older brother's three kids. I don't know if his wife is going to enter any, and honestly, I don't really care. If that makes me seem callous...well, I won't apologize. I do that too much.

For my family that is entering the contest, I wish them luck. Regardless of who wins a blue ribbon or not, being able to share how you see the world is wonderful. Each person sees something different, something unique to them. That is what makes photography such a personal endeavor. It a bit of your soul put on paper.

. . . so this was a bit of a ramble. More of my inner thoughts and feelings than I have put down in a while. I have been so caught up in others' perception of me that I was beginning to lose me. I think I will go find me. Should be an interesting journey.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Jeepers Jen. This WAS rambling...and kind of strange for you. Everything really ok with you?

Oh, and that purple spikey flower had BETTER NOT be purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria)! It's an invasive noxious weed and it chokes out native species.

Let me know if you need to tlak to someone "outside"...