Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Quick update

Last Wednesday, my Uncle Joe and I went to get my van. It was such a wonderful trip! I laughed and giggled almost the entire way down. Life has thrown so much at this family that staying connected has become something of a chore. It was so nice to get to spend time with my Uncle.

I remember as a child, him coming to visit us. For years, he was a truck driver and was all over the country. Any time he got near us in Louisiana, Mom or Dad would make the trips to the truck stops to pick him up. Many times, my brothers and I were lucky enough to go with them. My mom has told me she remembers the "yeah, right..." looks on people's faces when we three kids would go running through the truck stop restaurants calling, "Uncle Joe! Uncle Joe!" and climb up his tall frame to hug his neck. Seriously, people! He's married to my mom's sister! Lol!

It was always a treat when Uncle Joe came. One year we even got him for Christmas, I think. We got him for his birthday a few times, too. Those visits were so special to us. So many times he would have to wait until after we kids had gone to school before he could leave because I would cry so much.

Then there was the year Aunt Martha and Uncle Joe came for an official summer vacation visit! They even brought my cousins Matt and Malissa! Oh, we had so much fun that summer! Left turn! Right turn! Lol! (family joke...)

So, the van works fine. It took the whole trip back for me to become accustomed to the way it drove, again. With the transmission fixed, it actually drives better than before and gaining more speed than necessary was an issue for a bit. Overall, it is wonderful to have my van back. Thank you, God, for our miracle.

A sadder note, today. Sam has died.

Sam, our Sam. He was my grandpap's dog. He is from the litter of pups that my dad's dog had 15 years ago. Many of her pups stayed in the family. Peaches went to Aunt Nancy's house because she fell asleep on Uncle Richard's foot and he fell in love. Sassafras's went to Aunt Martha's and Uncle Joe's house. Sugar became my Mom's dog. And Sam. Sam became Pap's boy.

Sam went everywhere with Pap. So many times I have felt that Sam was more than a dog. True, our family has treated the family pets as members of the family but Sam was something more. Sam was Pap's. Those two were made for each other. Today, Pap's heart is breaking. Today, Sam isn't hurting anymore. The last few weeks has been so hard. He lost Sugar, his sister and house mate. He was fast losing the ability to walk. He couldn't eat right. Just this weekend he started vomiting black stuff and a growth appeared on his side.

Today, Sam is better. Today, we are left to silence, no barking, no panting, no dog collar jingling through the house. Today, we remember the gift that was Sam and the joy he brought my grandpap. Sam was more precious than he could have ever known. Thank you, God, for the time we had him in our family. He was a true blessing. Sam - Taken Wednesday, July 15, 2009, by my 10 year old son.

No comments: