Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ah, relief

The last week or so has been so humid, muggy, stifling, whatever you wish to call it. It's been just downright hot. DH and I have had to be creative to keep the kids cool enough. We made the decision in early spring that we were NOT turning on the window A/C units. One - we don't have the money to spend on frivolous electricity use; Two - we like having the house open and aired out (despite the plumes of cigarette smoke that occasionally float in from the neighbors - the kids and I learn to just turn the fans around); Three - It's easier for the kids to come and go while they play if they don't have to constantly worry about letting the cold air out.

So, we have 7 fans going. Yes, seven (7), and my electric bill is still lower than last summer's bill when I did use the window units. I actually scored a great deal (for me, anyway) the other day. On Monday, we only had 6 fans in the house and the weekend's weather was just too much for me without another airmover. I packed up the kids and went to the store. Of the three big fans we have, two of them are fabulous high velocity fans. The third is just a bit better than a regular box fan. Anyway, I was off to buy another of the high velocity fans which are normally priced at $40. I hated having to spend that much money but DH and I talked about it and decided that it was a good purchase. The fans have been put through the ringer and are still working like they did the day they were taken out of the box. So, I bit my lip and went to the store.

Surprise! Surprise! They had them marked down to $32! Sure, it's only $8 but that's money I can use for my family on something else we need. Yay!

The relief we have been given is lower temperatures outside. We even got desperately-needed rain yesterday. Thank the good Lord for that.

No comments: