Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Just a small vent

So, during the course of your day you get on the internet to check your email. You surf a few websites, read a few articles. In that time you see (and probably ignore) those moving ads for car insurance. The other new thing is the deluge of ads that proclaim Obama asks Moms to go back to school. Great idea! I think it is wonderful that there are programs to encourage Moms to go back to college...oh, wait...there's a catch.

99% of all scholarships and grants available for 'Mom' and her family's need for her to return to college are for SINGLE MOMS! Yep. I would have to divorce my husband to get the funding needed to go back to school to better my chances on getting a job that would pay more than my daycare bill.

I married young. I had children young. I have raised two boys that God blessed me with the day I said "I Do". I have two more boys that I was blessed with that are in grade school. I have limited employment history but 11 years of managing a house hold, managing schedules, and raising children. I have learned many things over the years through use of the internet and use of basic application and reading. My life experience adds up to more education than that of a 20 year old with a little piece of paper saying "I'm smart!". And yet, that little piece of paper gets them the job and me a rejection letter.

So, here's a tip. If you are a mom and want to go back to school, the government apparently would love to give you money...if you aren't married! If you have spent any amount of time being a SAHM, raising your kids, sacrificing your dreams, and listening to people talk down to you because you lack a certain little piece of paper, well, you are poop-out-of-luck.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Hi Jenny, I can really feel your frustration here! To work hard raising your children and keeping your home only to be told there is no help for you when you want to return to school! UGH.
But let's look at this issue as a whole. Isn't it great that there's a program out there for all those woman who had no other person to help them raise their kids and keep their homes? They weren't lucky, like you were, to have a husband to help support them (and the kids)along the way, but NOW they are getting a "hand up"! That's great news, don't you think?
And a program that helps SOME people is better than no program at all, right? *smile*
Keep your chin up, your time will come. I know it will.

Dana said...

Oh! And if anyone talks down to you, just give them MY number...I'll set them straight.