Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My photographs...

I was asked in a comment on my "Textures" post about my camera. Nicola (side note: you all have to go look at that adorable boy of hers!), honestly, I am just a newbie/hobbyist! I have a point and shoot that just happens to do macro!

I have a Canon S3 IS. I have had it for two years and love it. I would love to update it but it works just fine and I don't really need to spend the money on a new camera for me just yet.

My 10 y/o, however, is hoping to earn a new camera with his grades (he has to keep straight A's or A/B honor roll for me to think about it...first C and it waits for next year...) so that is what I am shopping for right now since he only has one more report card to go and he will have earned it! He's got a good eye and with him wanting to study paleontology (and a new budding interest in archeology) it goes hand-in-hand.

As for my equipment, I have three tripods of different sizes, a monopod, a white poster board that I cover in silver tone/gold tone emergency blankets (camping section!) depending on what light I need, and a desktop photo studio...

So, that's what I have. Not the wish list I have in my head but more than enough to somewhat sate my budding hobby.

3 comments:

crafter said...

Hi Jen! I love your photography! So colorful. Feel free you print the idea of the party favors for your wedding. Glad to share any good ideas!
Monya

Nicola said...

First, thank you so much for the lovely comment on my son. He is pretty cute -- if I don't say so myself!

I am in awe of your photographs. They are absolutely stunning. Do you just zoom in for those texture shots or are you using manual settings? You have an incredible eye, I'll say it again. I can't get macro shots like that with my DSLR, but maybe I should go back to my Kodak Z series and see if I can work with that! I was reading a photography book (my first) which actually said that some of the fancier "point and shoots" can do more, in certain situations, than a DSLR. You would need a macro lens for the DSLR to get shots like this. Not to imply that your camera is the one making the art -- First the eye and the skill, then the equipment.

Anyway, thank you for answering my question and for enlightening me about what's out there. I have had such fun browsing your gorgeous photos. They are inspirational. Thank you for sharing the beauty in all that you see.

Jen said...

Nicola, my camera has this fantastic Macro/Super Macro setting that I just LOVE! In some of my own reading and discovery, I read the same about some of the higher-end P&S cameras. Although, I still would love to have a DSLR. *sigh* One day, my Nikon, one day...

A great blog for you to check out is Digital Photography School. I have it listed on my main blog page but if you just want to copy/paste (since I can't put in a hyperlink right now) it is:

www.digital-photography-school.com

I LOVE THIS SITE! I have learned so much from the message boards and postings!

Anyway, I usually work in semi-manual as it takes some of the guess work out of it. My camera is so forgiving! However, I am slowly starting to do more of the manual settings (limited though they are).

I went out and checked the Kodak Z series cameras and those are NICE! That may be the way to go with my 10 y/o! We made a deal at the beginning of the year about his grades. Straight "A"s with only one flub and we will get him a better camera...he's going to make me get him a camera!!! YIPPEEE!!!

He's taken great care with the camera he has now, so I know he will be responsible with a better one. Already, he is coaching his little brother on how to take care of the "old" camera. It's fun to listen to them.